Sunday, November 16, 2008

Getting to the Root of it

This morning i had brunch with my mother. She ordered a mango and beet salad and i had a breakfast burrito. Often enough while we eat we talk about the same issues usually revolving around family, friends, politics and sports. Today she mentioned that she was getting her hair done this upcoming Monday. My mother is a beautiful woman and i commend her for growing her hair long as shes gotten older since generally women have the tendency to cut it short with age. My first reaction was to say "dont get it cut too short". Luckily she quickly followed with "I need to get my roots done." I looked up at her hair and saw that indeed her roots were starting to show. Her dirty blonde lockes were safe past her shoulders but the roots were almost an inch off of her scalp.

I wondered what she would look like if she grew her natural color out. It has been probably over 50 years since all the hair on her head contained its natural hue. And then it occurred to me that society might see a bump in god given hair color over the next year. With the economic crisis upon us where does hair coloring rank in personal budgeting? With funds getting tight my mother did admit that after this appointment she might have to start having her friends color her hair at home. I can see the pandemic across the world spreading as economic systems collapse. First its roots growing out, then its hair growing longer and lastly a breakout of rubberband and scrunchee thefts across the globe as women put their hair up.

Whatever shall we do?

Lets have faith that Obama will do the right thing to get the economy on track. But then again he has no hair to speak of, at least compared to women.

No comments: